Agricultural Vehicles on the Road

2017 IoH/Ag CMV Requirement Map

Map of Wisconsin showing IoH rules by county and municipalityView the full map here

If the maintaining authority chose one of the following options  [s. 348.15 (9) (f) 2.a Wis. Stats], then a resolution or ordinance was passed and posted as required by local governments. Options and vehicle requirements are:

  • Opt In – All IoH (including Category B) and Ag CMVs (including Category 1) are required to follow the new IoH/Ag CMV Maximum Weight Limits [s. 348.15 (3) (g) Wis. Stats.] for both Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) and Axle Weight. State and US highways were set to these vehicle requirements under Wisconsin Act 377.
  • Total Opt Out – All IoH and Ag CMVs operating have no Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), Axle Weight, or length requirements on highways under their jurisdiction. Resolution or Ordinance passed by MA should be used in place of a permit to exceed IoH/Ag CMV Maximum Weight Limits [s. 348.15 (3) (g) Wis. Stats.].
  • Partially Opt Out I – All IoH and Ag CMVs may operate per resolution or ordinance at Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), Axle Weight or Length as established by resolution or ordinance on all highways under their jurisdiction.
  • Partially Opt Out II – All IoH and Ag CMVs may operate per resolution or ordinance at Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), Axle Weight or Length established by resolution or ordinance on designated highways under their jurisdiction.

Copies of resolutions or ordinances passed by MA before December 1, 2015 and submitted to WisDOT as provided by s. 348.15 (9) (f) 2.c. Wis. Stats. are available on A resolution or ordinance adopted under this subdivision shall be valid for at least one year.

To check on the length and weight requirements for a road, you can use the IoH and Ag CMV Requirement map available here. Using the maps search features or by zooming in on the map, you can reference identify the maintaining authority for that road. There are links available to the ordinances and resolutions passed by local maintaining authorities. The map was last updated January 15, 2017.


This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.


Ag CMV – Agricultural Commercial Motor Vehicle (new in 2014)

CDL – Commercial Drivers License

CMV – Commercial Motor Vehicle

FMCSA – Federal Motor Carrier Safety Association

Farm tractor – a motor vehicle designed and used primarily as a farm implement for drawing plows, mowing machines and other implements of husbandry. [340.01(16)]

Farm Trailer – a trailer or semitrailer:

  • with a gross weight greater than 3000 pounds
  • which is owned or leased* and operated by a farmer
  • and is used exclusively for transportation of farm products from the owner’s farm to market or for transportation of supplies to the owner’s farm. [s. 340.01 (17) Wis. Stats.]

* Leased means that the farmer has entered into a written agreement with a person in the business of leasing vehicles to lease the trailer or semitrailer for a period of one year or more.

GVW – Gross Vehicle Weight

IoH – Implement of Husbandry

Wide IoH is an IoH with a total width in excess of 15 feet or that partly extends, when operated primarily on the right half of the roadway, over the center of the roadway into any lane intended for travel in the opposite direction (new in 2015).

Hours of Darkness – is the period of time from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise and all other times when there is not sufficient natural light to render clearly visible to any person or vehicle upon a highway at a distance of 500 feet.

State and Federal Resources

Dyed Fuel

The Wisconsin Department of Revenue updated Publication 307 Motor Vehicle Fuel Tax Information in 2015 with information on dyed fuel usage. The publication is available here (see Appendix B).

If you have additional questions related to use of dyed fuels, please contact the Wisconsin Department of Revenue.

Madison Office Location
2135 Rimrock Road
Madison, WI 53713

or write to:

Excise Tax Unit
Wisconsin Department of Revenue
PO Box 8900
Madison, WI 53708-8900

Telephone (608) 266-6701
FAX (608) 261-7049

Right of Way

s. 346.51 Wis. Stats. Stopping, standing or parking outside of business or residence districts.

  1. No person shall park, stop or leave standing any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, upon the roadway of any highway outside a business or residence district when it is practical to park, stop or leave such vehicle standing off the roadway, but even the parking, stopping or standing of a vehicle off the roadway of such highway is unlawful unless the following requirements are met:
    1. An unobstructed width of at least 15 feet upon the roadway of such highway must be left opposite such standing vehicle for the free passage of other vehicles.
    2. Such standing vehicle must be capable of being seen by operators of other vehicles from a distance of 500 feet in each direction along such highway.

s. 346.21 Wis. Stats. Right-of-way of livestock. The operator of a motor vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to livestock being driven over or along any highway but any person in charge of such livestock shall use reasonable care and diligence to open the roadway for vehicular traffic.

Sales of Farm Equipment

s. 100.47 Sales of farm equipment Wis. Stats
  1. Definition. In this section, “farm equipment” means a tractor or other machinery used in the business of farming.
  2. Safety equipment required. No person in the business of selling farm equipment may sell farm equipment unless, at the time of sale, the farm equipment is equipped with all of the following:
    1. A power takeoff master shield, if a tractor.
    2. A power takeoff driveline shield extending to the 2nd universal joint, if farm equipment powered by a tractor.
    3. Lights, reflectors, and other marking devices meeting the applicable requirements under ch. 347 at the time the farm equipment was manufactured, if farm equipment that can be operated on a highway.
    4. A slow moving vehicle emblem meeting standards and specifications established under s. 347.245, if farm equipment that can be operated on a highway.
  3. Disclosure.
    1. If farm equipment subject to sub. (2) (b) is equipped with a power takeoff shield that is not equivalent to the shield installed at the time of manufacture, the person who sells the farm equipment shall so notify the buyer in writing.
    2. No person in the business of selling farm equipment may sell farm equipment that can be operated on a highway unless, at the time of sale, the person who sells the farm equipment discloses to the buyer in writing the gross vehicle weight and axle weights of the unladen farm equipment at the point of sale.
  4. Exceptions. Subsections (2) and (3) (b) do not apply to:
    1. Sales of farm equipment to another person in the business of selling farm equipment for the purpose of resale.
    2. Sales of farm equipment for the purpose of salvage.
    3. Sales by auction, unless the auctioneer holds title to the farm equipment being sold.
  5. Penalty. Any person who violates this section may be required to forfeit not more than $500 for each violation.

Road Safety

When you pull out from a driveway, you’re not looking to be involved in a crash.  However, every time you leave a driveway you should be prepared and ready to avoid a crash.

Two keep aspects of roadway safety are visibility and predictability.

Visibility includes lights, flashers, turn signals, SMV emblem, extremity marking, and flags.  Each of these items has an important role in making your equipment seen by other motorists.  Questions and Answers on Lighting and Marking on Public Roads covers 6 common questions.

Predictability relates to your actions as the operator and communicating to the other motorists your actions. It also includes your actions as a defensive driver in paying attention to the actions of motorists and the roadway.  Here are some key actions to help relay to motorists your future actions.

  1. Use turn signals or hand signals. You are required by law to use turn signals or hand signals.  Operators commonly comment that motorists don’t pay attention to turn signals. However, if you’re involved in an accident and didn’t signal, you increase your liability for the accident.
  2. Travel on the roadway. If you’re driving half on the shoulder and half on the roadway, it’s sending a mixed message to the motorist behind you.  It is better to use the whole lane of the road. Be careful to not cross over the center line.  Now when that mailbox or narrow bridge comes up, you won’t need to pull as far back onto the road and take an action the motorist isn’t expecting.

Wisconsin State Statutes related to agricultural equipment on public roads has been compiled into a single document. WI Laws for Public Roads 7.9.08

The Wisconsin Department of Transportation has a series of articles related to “Wisconsin Farmers on the Road. These articles are available here at WisDOT’s website.